Legal Pre-existing Structure Within 50 Feet
Langlade County Ordinance
If any part of your principal structure is within 50 feet of the OHWM, ordinary maintenance and repair is allowed provided that:
- Existing Structure. The area of the existing structure is at least 500 square feet.
- Internal Improvements. Internal improvement is confined to the perimeter of the existing principal structure including attached garages and screened and unscreened roofed porches; lateral expansion or accessory construction outside of the perimeter of the existing principal structure is not permitted except for the additions of 100 square feet or less on the landward side of the structure.
- Walls. The total length of existing external walls modified or replaced over the life of the structure shall not exceed 25% of the total original perimeter of the structure.
- Basements. New basements or expansion of existing basements are allowed only where it is not possible due to limited lot size, steep slopes, or high-quality natural features to move the structure back from the water in compliance with county relocation standards. (Click Here)
- Second Stories. No additional stories or expansion of existing stories are permitted.
- Replacement of roofs as allowed under ordinary maintenance and repair is permitted with a maximum height of 26 feet.
- Construction of no more than two dormers with each dormer not exceeding an average of 5 feet in width as measured externally is permitted.
- Expansion covering an area less than 100 square feet is permitted.
- A conditional use permit is needed for a proposed roof replacement that does not meet these requirements.
- Mitigation. Mitigation requirements are implemented except for projects involving only ordinary maintenance and repair.. (Click Here)