The following is the procedure to get approval for construction on shoreland lots in Langlade County. The LRRD handles all permits (see "Contact Us" page.).

A permit for the construction of a building, addition, or other structures (including porches and decks) is required in all zoned areas of the county. Certain small accessory structures which are less than $1,000.00 assessed value, such as small storage sheds, are exempt from the permit requirements; however these structures must still comply with the setback and other requirements. Please contact the LRRD before beginning construction.

Zoning permits can be obtained by either the property owner or the contractor/agent. However, it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that all necessary permits are obtained and all work complies with county regulations. Good communication with your contractor will save you time and money and help prevent unwanted disturbance to your shoreland property.

If you are planning to construct a residence on your property, here's a convenient checklist to help you through the permit approval process.


Check the zoning and parcel size of the property at the LRRD to verify that a residence can be built on the lot.

Waterway Classification

Check the classification of the lake, river or stream with the LRRD to determine which development standards apply to the property. Different water classes have different requirements.

Legal Title

A deed or land contract, etc. must be recorded in the Langlade County Register of Deeds Office to legally transfer ownership. The LRRD can issue permits only to the legal owner of the property or to the owner's agent/contractor.

Soil Test

Contact a certified soil tester to perform a soil test (i.e., perc test). The soil tester will file the original with the LRRD and provide you with a copy. A soil test indicates what type of sanitary system can be installed and where it can be located on the property.

Sanitary Permit

Provide a copy of the soil test to a licensed plumber. Usually the plumber will act as the property owner’s agent and apply for the sanitary permit and any state approvals needed, and then submits the sanitary permit to the LRRD with the required fee.

Fill and Grade Permit

A fill and grade permit is required for any filling, grading or excavating within 300’ of a navigable water body including digging a basement. Application materials are available at the Land Records and Regulations Department. A fee is required and probable site inspection by staff prior to issuance of permit.

*Zoning Permit

The property owner (or builder/agent) can obtain a zoning permit application form from the LRRD and return the completed form to the department with the required fee. The State of Wisconsin also requires a Uniform Dwelling Code (UDC) permit and inspections for all one and two-family dwellings. The county has contracted with Duff Leaver Inspections to issue UDC permits & perform the required inspections during construction. He can be reached at 715-216-4734 or 715-882-2080.

Rural Address

A rural address application must be completed to obtain a rural number. The number will be assigned once other permits have been issued. Application forms are available at the LRRD.

*The Soil Test, Sanitary Permit, Fill and Grade Permit, and the Shoreland Restoration Plan have to be approved prior to issuance of the Zoning Permit. To assure prompt processing of permits, submit all permits simultaneously.

Note: It is important to apply early, especially during the peak building season as it may take up to six weeks or more to get all approvals. Do not set a date with your builders to begin any construction (or for home delivery) until after you have your permits in hand.