If you are planning a new construction project in Langlade County where public sewer service is not available, an on-site, wastewater sewage disposal system is required. A sanitary permit is required for these systems to ensure that wastes do not cause a public health hazard. A sanitary permit must be obtained prior to a building permit, prior to the start of construction and all appropriate fees must be paid. The process to obtain a sanitary permit is as follows:

1.      Have a soil test taken. These tests must be performed by a Certified Soil Tester (CST) licensed by the State of Wisconsin. A list of CST’s who work in Langlade County can be obtained from the Zoning Department.

 2.      If the soils are suitable for a conventional, in-ground septic system or holding tank, and the system is to serve a one- or two-family residence, the county can issue sanitary permit without a state plan review.

3.      If the soils dictate a mound system, in-ground pressure system, at-grade system, or if the system is to serve a three or more unit residential building, a commercial building or an industrial building, the plans must be approved by the Wisconsin Department of Commerce before the county can issue a sanitary permit.

4.  Plans for both county and state (if required) approval must be drawn by an architect, engineer, plumbing designer or the master plumber installing the system. A list of septic system installers who work in Langlade County is available from the Zoning Department.

5. Completed plans and soil tests must be submitted to the Zoning Department, along with the appropriate fees, for approval.

6. Once approved, the sanitary permit is valid for 2 years from the date of issuance and in most cases, can be renewed.

Please remember that arranging for soil tests, review of permit applications, site inspections, etc. takes time. Plan your building project well in advance to account for these requirements.

The excavation of a basement and footings is considered start of construction and is prohibited until a sanitary permit and building permit are obtained. Starting construction without these permits will result in a triple permit fee as a penalty.

The application for a sanitary permit is typically the first step in the construction sequence. Later steps in the sequence such as the request for an address, will require an accurate legal description. It is important that a certified survey map or other instrument used for describing the land be available at the time the sanitary permit is applied for. This will ensure a smooth flow through the subsequent development process steps.

For further information on the sanitary permit process, please contact Duane Haakenson by E-mail at or by calling (715)627-6206.


FAILING SYSTEMS: A failing system is defined as one that backs up into the house, surfaces to the ground, or enters surface water or groundwater. This may be due to poor design, poor location, overloading the system, lack of maintenance, or age. If the problem persists after the tank has been pumped, you may need a replacement system. A drainfield that is soggy, ponded or has greener grass may have problems. A CST or plumber can evaluate the system for you. Financial help may be available for you. Langlade County is enrolled in the Wisconsin Fund Program offered through the Department of Commerce. Information packets are available in the Zoning Office.


bulletNon-Plumbing System
bulletConventional System
bulletMound System
bulletPressure Distribution System
bulletAt-Grade System
bulletHolding Tank
bulletSingle Pass Sand Filter System
bulletRe-circulating Sand Filter System
bulletSplit Bed Re-circulating Sand Filter System
bulletDrip-Line Effluent Dispersal System


MAINTENANCE:   “Maintaining Your Septic System” and “Household Hints That Help”. These publications are available by contacting the Zoning Office or contacting the State of Wisconsin, Department of Commerce, Safety & Buildings Division.


To determine if you are eligible for the Wisconsin Fund Program, please refer to the Check list of Steps for Application of the Wisconsin Fund form. The application to apply for funding as well as other pertinent information regarding the Wisconsin Fund is available in the Zoning Office.