1. Contact a certified soil tester to evaluate the soils near your system. The certified soil tester can determine that a category one failure exists and what the soil conditions are for the replacement system. These results will be filed with the County on a soil report form. Attached is a list of certified soil testers who normally do work in Langlade County.

2. Once the soil report form is filed with this office, someone from this department will visit the site to make an on-site verification and confirm the conditions of failure of the system. To be eligible, the County must issue a written enforcement letter or written determination of failure.

3. You will need to hire a licensed plumber to apply for the sanitary permit to replace the system. Some systems require state approvals which takes time. Attached is a list of licensed plumbers who normally do work in Langlade County. At this time, you should begin completing the first side of the Wisconsin Fund application form. There is an application fee of $50.00 payable to Langlade County Zoning. Please note you must attach proof of income (Federal Tax Return) from the year prior to the enforcement order or determination of failure. You may apply for the grant up to three (3) years after the date of the enforcement order or determination of failure if you have met all current program requirements.

4. This department will complete the second side of the application form and send them to the Department of Commerce in Madison by January 31st. The sanitary permit must be issued before that date. If not, then you will have to wait until the following year to apply for the assistance.

5. Monies become available several months after the application deadline, but you cannot receive any reimbursement until after the replacement system is installed by the licensed plumber and inspected by this department. As stated in the Wisconsin Fund brochure, there is no guarantee of the amount of money to be reimbursed to the property owner.

Langlade County has an income limit of $45,000. Income in excess of $32,500 will result in a pro-rated reduction of the grant award.